By Holly Field Design

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A New Year


Most bloggers start off their year with a brand new post January 1, right on time.  There is plenty of chat about resolutions, a fresh start, buying new calendars, and setting new goals.  Not here.  If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that life, no matter how well planned, can bring the most unexpected detours!  So, instead of making a New Year's resolution, I've been busy dealing with the detours.  My family has had many unforeseen bumps and a few crashes on our well planned journey for a quite some time now.  I've decided to take matters in hand this year, and deal with the detours, and perhaps find a new route, maybe even discover that detours can lead to the most beautiful places.

One of my favorite words is serendipity.  Mr. Webster defines the word as "the gift of finding valuable or agreeable things not looked for".  Most certainly one can take on the detours in life, and punch serendipity into the GPS and find plenty of those valuable and agreeable things not looked for, even not planned. 


Okay!  Now for some news.  I have opened a shop online.  Nothing fancy, just a little shop selling all my favorite things.  You may have a clue by now, given the change to my blog title!   Quilts of course, and all the things that have been flying off my knitting needles for awhile now.  It made sense to combine my love of all things baby, quilts, heirloom sewing & needlework into a place people can find unique, handmade items for their favorite little one.  I'm excited about this!  It's forced me to get busy,  finish things and to narrow my scope of quilting a bit (at least from 9 to5!). But I've also had opportunities to shop (one of my favorite online activities)  to find new fabric sources, and pull out my graph & drawing paper to put my ideas on paper.  I'm hoping one of my favorite girlfriends will be tempted to joining me and add her beautiful heirloom christening gowns to my shop!

Who could resist?  I know my heart melts when I think about babies, especially babies dressed in  beautiful heirloom gowns, sweaters, hats, booties, and beautiful quilts to wrap them in!  

I haven't fully stocked my shop yet, but am trying to add 3 or 4 items each day.  So far, I've listed all the little sweater coats I knit this winter, and am getting the pattern tested.  I still have a huge stack of little sweaters, booties, & hats wrapped in ziplock bags all over my cutting table.  

The baby quilts are also coming along.  I currently have at least a dozen that need to be quilted.  That will be my main task this weekend.  I'm doing what I like to do.  Who could ask for more?  
I'll be back soon with some finished quilts & a fabric show!

No comments:

Blog Archive